Head of Engineering (Big Data)
Head of Engineering
The company are an early stage Big Data software business that delivers innovation by enabling relationships between the world of things. They enable data and controls from different sources to deepen understanding, create new services and drive opportunities for companies in all industries. Business models, customer & partner relationships, service & product offerings – each of these can be transformed and redefined. As a result, their clients can better manage their assets, create new services and build profitable new revenue streams.
Technically, it is a complicated terrain and a new territory for enterprises, one that is of great interest but not immediately familiar. It is vital for all of the company’s stakeholders, internal and external, that the right engineering leadership is in place and that the company’s bold technology vision is not only clear but also delivered to market.
It is for these reasons that they are now looking to recruit a Head of Engineering.
- Lead the software development process, taking responsibility for delivering the data platform to market and ensuring that it is built to scale quickly, efficiently and fully aligned with market requirements.
- Help to develop the company’s internal insight and capability across the interdisciplinary fields of data, controls and endpoints, so that the company builds a reputation as the thought leader of connected things.
- Determine and agree priorities across the different technical areas, translating these into clear objectives with timelines and project plans.
- Create a culture of delivery and responsiveness, with clearly defined priorities and an injection of ‘mission-critical’ pace, ensuring that trust is built between the development team and all stakeholders.
- Contribute to the platform design process, securing input from different stakeholders including the product, technical and go-to-market teams, as well as its client and partner community and building on the group’s successful work to date.
- Communicate frequently with all members of the management team and board, ensuring there is understanding and acceptance of delivery timescales, challenges and priorities.
- Provide mentoring and leadership for the engineering team, ensuring that each member understands their objectives and contribution to the success of the business and that teams are organised effectively and aligned with each other and the company’s objectives.
- Assume responsibility for the recruitment of the engineering team, serving as a ‘talent magnet’ for outstanding developers & engineers
- Be passionate about developing the skills and capabilities of engineering team members.
- Manage the resources of the Engineering team, ensuring the cost base is aligned with the group’s business plan and that working capital is effectively managed.
- You will have played a leadership role in the definition and scaling of large data and/or data management systems in an enterprise environment.
- You are comfortable with advanced big data tools.
- A background in SaaS
- You are capable of translating market ideas into a technical roadmap and a set of deliverables.
- Excel with data and algorithmic complexity, are hands-on and probably still code..
- Guide software development processes with a sophisticated understanding of key metrics, time constraints, team requirements, reporting and the need for flexibility.
- Have an intuitive understanding of trade-offs, when and where to compromise, and how to get it right.
- Possess outstanding project management and prioritisation skills, driving a highly organised approach to software development
- You operate with a ‘client-first’ mentality.
- Generate alignment amongst teams, partners and customers for the realisation of key objectives.
- Able to recruit outstanding talent capable of positively impacting the company’s direction.
- Mentoring and guiding, setting clear objectives and influencing outcomes.
- Develop high performing, results-oriented cultures.
- Appreciate the requirements and challenges of early-stage technology businesses.
- Intellectually strong, comfortable with complexity.
- Know how to deal with technologies that require further milestones to mature to deliver the target value.
This role would suit an Engineering Lead with experience managing multiple teams in a B2B environment serving Enterprise Markets. Combined with someone who focuses more on Middleware and works with databases rather than algorithms and might even love Metadata.
Head of Engineering, Engineering Head, Director of Engineering, Engineering Director, VP of Engineering, SaaS, Software, Big Data, Metadata, Cloud, Python, Databases, B2B, Enterprise, ESB, ESBaaS, Enterprise Service Bus. Engineering Manager.